12 Jun Virginia Street Project Weekly Update | June 12, 2020
The new roundabout on Virginia Street at Center/Mary Streets will be operational the first part of July. Roundabouts are easy to use and provide safety benefits including crash reduction and severity. Vehicles travel counterclockwise around a raised center island, with entering traffic yielding the right-of-way to circulating traffic. Entering vehicles negotiate a curve sharp enough to slow speeds to about 15-20 mph.
Drivers approaching a roundabout must reduce their speeds, look for potential conflicts with vehicles already in the circle, and be prepared to stop for pedestrians and bicyclists. Once in the roundabout, drivers proceed to the appropriate exit, following the guidance provided by traffic signs and pavement markings. Watch an instructional video HERE.
New roundabout in Midtown on Virginia Street at Center/Mary Streets.
Construction Look Ahead
All operations are weather permitting.
- Virginia Street is two-way traffic from Vassar Street to Plumb Lane.
- Virginia Street is one-way southbound from Liberty Street to Vassar Street. Two-way traffic on South Virginia Street up to Center/Mary Streets is anticipated in July, and up to Liberty Street in August.
- Drivers can expect lane shifts on Virginia Street at Liberty Street for concrete improvements.
- Concrete on the west side of the roundabout at Center/Mary Streets is installed and curing -reaching strength. One-way southbound traffic is detoured through the east side of the roundabout. Once the concrete reaches strength, traffic will be two-way on Virginia Street from Plumb Lane to the roundabout -approximately July 4, 2020.
- Crews are placing center medians, raising utilities, striping the roadway and installing landscaping and lighting on Virginia Street from Liberty Street to Center/Mary Streets.
RTC’s Route 1, RAPID Virginia Line, and UNR-Midtown Direct southbound routes are back to normal. Northbound routes on Virginia Street are still on a detour. Check route and schedule information at rtcwashoe.com.
Reno Restaurant Week will be taking place in Reno, Sparks, Carson City, and in Midtown on June 17-24, 2020. During this week-long event, participating food and drink establishments will offer reduced or fixed price menus and/or specialty items to guests.
All participating establishments have agreed to be COVID-19 compliant and any active phase restrictions will be followed.
The RTC and SNC encourages everyone to support food & drink businesses as our economy begins to reopen.
To learn more and view the full list of participants, sponsors and partners, please visit RenoRestaurantWeek.com.