30 Jul Virginia Street Project Weekly Update | July 30, 2020
The project team is braving the heat and working to reopen Virginia Street to two-way traffic the entire length of the corridor from Liberty Street to Plumb Lane by end of the day on August 14! Crews are preparing to construct the last of the median islands between Center Street and Liberty Street this week and next week. They are also installing landscaping and completing transit stations.
- RTC’s contracted construction crews are following the Nevada Occupational Health and Safety Administration’s construction-safety guidance.
- Drink small amounts of water frequently.
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting, breathable clothing—cotton is good.
- Take frequent short breaks in cool shade.
- Eat smaller meals before work activity.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol or large amounts of sugar.
- Work in the shade.
Did you know asphalt (roadway) can be 40-60 degrees hotter than the surrounding air temperature? So100 degree summer days can mean workers are moving about on a surface as hot as 160 degrees!
- Midtown Traffic Control
All operations are weather permitting.
- Virginia Street is two-way traffic from Center/Mary Streets to Plumb Lane.
- Virginia Street is one-way southbound from Liberty Street to Center/Mary Streets with two-way traffic anticipated in August.
- Crews are placing center medians, striping the roadway and installing landscaping on Virginia Street from Liberty Street to Center/Mary Streets.
UNR Traffic Control
- The bridge on Virginia Street over I-80 between Maple Street and Eighth Street, west of Walgreens, is closed to through traffic until mid-August. Northbound traffic and pedestrians are detoured to Center Street via Maple Street. Southbound traffic and pedestrians are detoured to Sierra Street via 9th Street.
- Traffic is two-way on North Virginia Street from 9th Street to 15th Street.
- Traffic is one-way northbound on North Virginia Street between 15th Street and the Sierra Street/Comstock Drive/Virginia Street intersection, just south of McCarran Boulevard. Traffic through this section is switched to the east side of the street and new roundabout to allow for work on the west side of the roundabout.
Learn How to Navigate a Roundabout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNw5ct3_lA
RTC’s Route 1, RAPID Virginia Line, and UNR-Midtown Direct will continue on a northbound detour on Holcomb Avenue and Center Street. Southbound buses are on their normal routes. Check route and schedule information at rtcwashoe.com.