23 Apr Virginia Street Project Weekly Update | April 23, 2020
The RTC and SNC are continuing to accelerate construction operations in Midtown by completing major paving operations on Virginia Street, from Center/Mary Streets to Liberty Street, by May 14. Midtown construction is expected to finish three months early.
The extended business closures directed by Governor Sisolak are providing an opportunity to accelerate construction operations of the Virginia Street project in the Midtown area, expediting completion and minimizing construction impacts to businesses when they are able to reopen. The RTC will continue to monitor the process of the reopening of the economy and maximize this time to complete construction within the Midtown District, working with business owners to keep them informed of our activities.
Virginia Street will continue to be closed to all traffic from Center Street/Mary Street to Liberty Street. Traffic going southbound on Virginia Street will be detoured at Liberty Street. This closure will be effective 24 hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week until May 15, 2020, when Virginia Street will reopen to one-way traffic in Midtown.
After May 15, Virginia Street will remain open to one-way traffic as crews finish less-impactful construction operations, including center median work, landscaping, roadway striping and final utility work. Virginia Street is anticipated to reopen to two-way traffic in Midtown in August, when construction is expected to be substantially complete.
Side streets and sidewalks along the closed section of Virginia Street are open so people can access essential businesses and pick up to-go food orders from Midtown restaurants. The project team is working with businesses to accommodate deliveries from their vendors and customers who are picking up to-go orders.
Construction on the segment of the Virginia Street Project near the University of Nevada, Reno, is continuing and expected to be complete this fall.
Construction Look Ahead
All operations are weather permitting.
- Virginia Street is closed to through traffic from Liberty Street to Center Street/Mary Street.
- Roadwork is underway from Center Street to St. Lawrence Avenue.
- Virginia Street is one-way southbound from Center Street to Mt. Rose Street.
- Thoma Street is closed for approximately one week for installation of a new Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) box structure.
- Curb, gutter and sidewalk installation on the west side of Virginia Street from Center Street to Liberty Street continues.
- Installation of infrastructure for RAPID transit stations.
RTC’s Route 1, RAPID Virginia Line, and UNR-Midtown Direct will detour northbound on Holcomb Avenue and Center Street, and southbound on Liberty Street to California Avenue to Forest Street to Mt. Rose Street. Check route and schedule information at rtcwashoe.com.
If you’re looking for a fun way to support local businesses in Midtown, get ready to play some BINGO for a chance to win the coveted “Virgina” Street sign! (You know that happy accident that happened a few months back?)
To play, just follow these steps:
1. Follow @MidtownDistrictReno on Instagram
2. Screen shot (or download on: renomidtowndistrict.com) the BINGO card
3. Fill out the card, making sure to tag @midtowndistrictreno AND each business as you go
4. RE-share the BINGO card so others can participate too!
5. Bingo ends May 8, 2020.