16 Apr Virginia Street Project Weekly Update | April 16, 2020
Midtown Construction Acceleration Expands
On Wednesday, April 15, we initiated accelerated construction on a second segment of the project. We appreciate the support of business owners as we work to fast track construction operations.
Virginia Street is closed to all traffic from Liberty Street to Center Street/Mary Street. Through traffic going southbound on Virginia Street is detoured at Liberty Street. This closure is effective 24 hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week until April 30, 2020. This date is based on businesses potentially re-opening.
Virginia Street from Mt. Rose Street/Holcomb Avenue to Mary Street/Center Street is newly paved and reopened to one-way southbound traffic. Two-way traffic continues on Virginia Street from Mt. Rose Street to Plumb Lane.
Side streets and sidewalks are open so people can access essential businesses and pick up to-go food orders from Midtown restaurants.
RTC’s Route 1, RAPID Virginia Line, and UNR-Midtown Direct will detour northbound on Holcomb Avenue and Center Street, and southbound on Liberty Street to California Avenue to Forest Street to Mt. Rose Street. Check route and schedule information at rtcwashoe.com.
Construction Look Ahead
All operations are weather permitting.
- Virginia Street is closed to through traffic from Liberty Street to Center Street/Mary Street. Flaggers will direct cars to businesses between Liberty Street and St. Lawrence Avenue.
- Thoma Street is closed for approximately two weeks for installation of a new Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) box structure.
- Curb, gutter and sidewalk installation on the west side of Virginia Street from Center Street to Liberty Street continues.
- Installation of infrastructure for RAPID transit stations.
- Roundabout construction on the westside of the roundabout is in process on Virginia Street at Center Street and Mary Street. Through traffic please use Holcomb Avenue.
If you’re looking for a fun way to support local businesses in Midtown, get ready to play some BINGO for a chance to win the coveted “Virgina” Street sign! (You know that happy accident that happened a few months back?)
To play, just follow these steps:
1. Follow @MidtownDistrictReno on Instagram
2. Screen shot (or download on: renomidtowndistrict.com) the BINGO card
3. Fill out the card, making sure to tag @midtowndistrictreno AND each business as you go
4. RE-share the BINGO card so others can participate too!
5. Bingo ends May 8, 2020.