24 Sep UNR Virginia Street Weekly Update | 9/24
September 24, 2020
Midtown businesses are open and accessible. Fall is the perfect time to explore the new wider sidewalks, trees, landscaping and safety improvements in Midtown!
Midtown Safety Fun Fact:
Keeping our community safe is RTC’s top priority. That’s why you’ll see a new median on Virginia St. when you visit Midtown. Preventing cars from making left turns reduces crashes and helps keep pedestrians crossing the road safer.
Watch for a future stakeholder update with more information about the safety improvements in Midtown.
Traffic Control in Midtown:
- Center Street is closed only to buses and large trucks at Cheney Street through the end of the month to allow for concrete curing. The street is open but reduced to one lane for through traffic.
- Periodic signage, striping and landscaping will continue through the end of the month. Please continue to use caution when driving through Midtown.
When driving through a roundabout, vehicles entering the roadway (in this case, from the parking garage) must yield to traffic circulating the roadway (Virginia Street).
Traffic Control at the University of Nevada, Reno:
- Traffic is two-way on North Virginia Street from 9th Street to 15th Street.
- Intermittent closures at the intersection of Virginia Street and 9th Please use 10th Street detour.
- Traffic is one-way northbound on North Virginia Street between 15th Street and the Sierra Street/Comstock Drive/Virginia Street intersection, just south of McCarran Boulevard. Southbound traffic in this area is detoured at Sierra Street and utilizes 15th Street back to North Virginia Street. This closure is anticipated to be in place until the project is completed this fall.
- Virginia Street is closed between Maple Street and 8th Detours are in place for northbound traffic to use Center Street and southbound traffic to use Sierra Street.
- Full closure of Virginia Street between East 9th Street and East 8th Street. The closure of Virginia Street between East 8th Street and Maple Street continues. Traffic will be detoured onto Sierra Street or Center Street. East 8th Street will remain open to traffic.
Learn How to Navigate a Roundabout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNw5ct3_lA
Last Chance to Be Counted in the 2020 Census by September 30, 2020!
• It’s quick and easy. The 2020 Census questionnaire will take about 10 minutes to complete.
• It’s safe, secure, and confidential. Your information and privacy are protected.
• Your response helps to direct billions of dollars in federal funds to local communities for schools, roads, and other public services.
• Results from the 2020 Census will be used to determine the number of seats each state has in Congress and your political representation at all levels of government.