18 Sep UNR Virginia Street Weekly Update | 9/18
September 18, 2020
There will be an expanded full closure of Virginia Street between East 9th Street and East 8th Street. The closure of Virginia Street between East 8th Street and Maple Street continues. Traffic will be detoured onto Sierra Street or Center Street. East 8th Street will remain open to traffic.
Businesses and residences in this area remain open and accessible.
For the safety of construction crews, drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists, please use caution in and around construction zones.
Construction near the University is anticipated to be complete this fall.
Traffic Control at UNR:
- Traffic is two-way on North Virginia Street from 9th Street to 15th Street.
- Traffic is one-way northbound on North Virginia Street between 15th Street and the Sierra Street/Comstock Drive/Virginia Street intersection, just south of McCarran Boulevard. Southbound traffic in this area is detoured at Sierra Street and utilizes 15th Street back to North Virginia Street. This closure is anticipated to be in place until the project is completed this fall.
- Virginia Street is closed between Maple Street and 8th Detours are in place for northbound traffic to use Center Street and southbound traffic to use Sierra Street.
Traffic Control in Midtown:
- Center Street is closed only to buses and large trucks at Cheney Street through the end of the month to allow for concrete curing. The street is open but reduced to one lane for through traffic.
- Periodic signage, striping and landscaping will continue through the end of the month. Please continue to use caution when driving through Midtown.
When driving through a roundabout, vehicles entering the roadway (in this case, from the parking garage) must yield to traffic circulating the roadway (Virginia Street).
Learn How to Navigate a Roundabout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNw5ct3_lA