09 Nov Construction Update, November 9, 2018
Whispering Vine Wine Comes to Midtown
Whispering Vine Wine, Reno’s first premier wine shop, opened its fourth Reno location in Midtown in Sticks at 722 South Virginia Street. Stop by and raise a glass to help celebrate their 20 years in business. Temporary parking is conveniently located on Virginia Street. From everyone on the Transforming Virginia Street Project, “Welcome to the neighborhood!”
Tickets still available! Off-Beat Music Festival Comes to Midtown
More than 100 bands from across the country turn Midtown into a three-day music festival at various locations beginning Thursday, November 8 to Saturday, November 10. Click here to buy your wristband now and receive $10 off.
Veterans Day, November 11
World War I – known at the time as “The Great War” – officially ended when the Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919, in the Palace of Versailles outside the town of Versailles, France. However, fighting ceased seven months earlier when an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. For that reason, November 11, 1918, is generally regarded as the end of “the war to end all wars.”
The RTC is honoring Veterans with FREE transit services on Veterans Day, November 11 for everyone! To plan your trip, visit rtcwashoe.com.
Construction Update, November 9, 2018
The project team has completed the mainline trench! Crews will work on installing new and upgraded services. Traffic control on Virginia Street will consistently stay one-way southbound for most of construction. Side street closures will vary as crews work on utilities throughout Midtown. The utility work is occurring throughout the length of the project requiring closures at different times and locations.
Week of November 12, 2018
- Construction crews will be working on Monday, November 12, 2018, Veteran’s Day observed.
- Various side street closures at Pueblo Street, Arroyo Street, LaRue Avenue, Taylor Street and Cheney Street at Virginia Street. Side streets will not be closed at the same time.
- Temporary closures on West Regency Way at Virginia Street and Walts Lane at Virginia Street this week. Please use signed detours.
- Temporary closures on Holcomb Avenue and East Pueblo Street this week. Please use signed detours.
- Major construction activities will be temporarily shut down beginning the afternoon of Friday, November 16 to Sunday, November 25. Construction activities will resume the morning of Monday, November 26.
The RTC project team is coordinating closely with other construction projects happening near the corridor. NV Energy is working on a gas main replacement on Wells Avenue, between Moran Street and Ryland Street. Night work is possible. Please call (702) 402-5555 for more information. Truckee Meadows Water Authority is anticipated to begin work on improvements between Gordon Avenue and Arlington Avenue. Please call (775) 834-8080 for more information.**Traffic control is subject to change and weather permitting.
Share Your Midtown Experience #VirginiaStreetProject
Don’t forget to share your experience while visiting any Midtown business by using #VirginiaStreetProject on Facebook or Instagram for the chance to receive a $10 gift card to Truckee Bagel Company. We will randomly select one recipient every week during construction. Please make sure your post and photo are publicly visible to be eligible!
Lyft Partnership: 50 Percent Off Trips TO Midtown
Visit your favorite Midtown businesses during construction using Lyft! We’re offering a 50-percent-off coupon, up to $10 off, to any rider going INTO Midtown. To use the coupon:
- Input the code RAPID directly into your Lyft app in the “promo” section, or
- Click here to visit our custom claim site
- Click here for Midtown limits
The code is valid for trips into the Midtown area within the construction zone. The code is valid for trips originating from anywhere in our community that is outside of the Midtown District.